Wednesday, March 2, 2011
Work It OUT
While reading www.abovethelaw.com , [for non-legal minds it is the perez hilton or people.com for nerdy lawyers/law schoolers] I came across an article that at the on-set maybe should have offended me but I surprisingly found it to be true. Apparently Cardozo Law is now trying to promote health & fitness for young budding women attorneys. [Note to Campbell- Stop serving Papa Johns @ every school meeting]. I do not mean to offend anyone but I think appearance [I say that loosely] can carry you a long way, with just a few added steps. Here is the entire article if you want to check it out Law School Group Urges Female Students to Get in Shape
** Note - this is next portion is not to be construed as any sort of self-centered, pompous, omniscient, I am better than you post. It is merely some observations that I have personally made in law school/courtroom/my short legal work experience, that I think would go a long way when you walk out the door from an interview to avoid the managing partner and/or office manager [if you are in public sector] and 2 associates cackling at you. IT DOES HAPPEN.
1. Girls should avoid uber unnatural hair colors
What do I mean by this? I admit my roots are about 2 months overdue on highlights. However my hair also does not look like a Kiebler Fudge Shoppe Cookie and my eyebrows somewhat resemble what my natural hair color is. Any color that resembles a Kool Aid flavor should also be steered clear of. Additionally, large and chunky highlights should be avoided as they look like my 4 year old nephew colored your hair. As a rule of thumb : "If you cannot get a good dye job, do not get a dye job at all." [and yes there are good do it your-self dye jobs]
2. Girls should avoid uber-long hair cuts.
I do not know about the rest of the world but there is such a thing as too much hair. I know some people are blessed with thick hair, but when it gets past a certain point on your back, i.e. the middle, it. has. got. to. go. If you are like me, than too much hair can be just gross.
3. Girls should avoid wearing any colored suit that does not fall into the triple B's.
What do I mean? Triple B's = Blue, Black, Brown. Grey and/or charcoal are also appropriate colors. Nothing annoys me more than a red suit. I want to scream at you, What were you thinking?? Red suits draw unnecessary attention. I also believe that white suits are not appropriate for a courtroom. I know that all may not agree with that, but they just are not. Trust me, I have heard those words from a judge's mouth before. Additional cringing colors I have come into contact with include but are not limited to: pewter, mint green, electric blue, pink [gross], anything in pastel, etc.
4. Girls should avoid white/sheer panty hose.
I just gagged a little thinking about those. If you are not naturally olive toned or you are starting to look like Casper, than do not, I repeat DO NOT wear white or sheer panty hose. Oh they look terrible. Instead opt for jet black, black opaque, or more of a tan opaque. Harris Teeter sells them in the shampoo aisle.
I'll say this once again- I do not mean for any of these points to offend anyone. These are just some general observations I have made along the way based on my own tastes, the real life opinions of other attorneys and judges, and members of the public. Because trust me, people will think about this.
Labels:
law school blunders,
physical discomfort
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment